CIL Payments

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a levy that the Local Planning Authority (LPA), Elmbridge Borough Council (EBC) can charge on new development, based on policy laid down by the Government. CIL was introduced in EBC in 2013.

For development in Claygate that meets policy, originally (from April 2013 to September 2015), 25% of the amount raised in Claygate was paid direct to Claygate Parish Council (CPC). The guidelines changed in 2015. CPC would still receive 25%, but 60% of the 25% was paid direct to CPC and the remaining 40% of the 25% was retained by EBC on behalf of CPC, available on request by CPC. In June 2017, EBC determined that it would only pass on 15% of CIL raised from then on. The remaining 85% amount of CIL from Claygate not passed direct to CPC is retained by EBC and along with CIL raised across all other settlements in the Borough is/can be utilised on strategic infrastructure projects across the Borough.

CPC receives any CIL from EBC on a backdated 6 month period. The monies are allowed to accrue and to be spent on community projects within the Village not normally covered by the precept. Receipts of CIL by CPC are listed in the accounts as CIL receipts and are an earmarked reserve until they are spent. If they are not spent within 5 years of receipt they may be refundable to EBC.

Below are the receipts that have been received by Claygate Parish Council:

RECEIPTS

1st April 2013 - 30th September 2013 :  Nil
1st October 2013 - 31st March   2014 :  Nil
1st April 2014 - 30th September 2014 :  £4,453.00
1st October 2014 - 31st March   2015 :  £2,821.00
1st April 2015 - 30th September 2015 : Nil
1st October 2015 - 31st March   2016 :  £6,214.00 (plus £4,142.67 retained by EBC for CPC)*
1st April 2016 - 30th September 2016 : £3,213.78 (plus £2,141.85 retained by EBC for CPC)*
1st October 2016 - 31st March 2017 : £1,178.17 (plus £  785.45 retained by EBC for CPC)*
1st April 2017 - 30th September 2017 : Nil
1st October 2017 - 31st March 2018 : £63,860.17
1st April 2018 - 30th September 2018: £11,267.00
1st October 2018 - 31st March 2019: £957.32

Total CIL receipt since inception through March 2019: £101,033.78
(*In January 2018, CPC requested that EBC pay it the £7,069.97 which it was retaining on behalf of CPC, which it did and EBC no longer holds any retained CIL funds due to CPC. These monies are included in the above total).

PAYMENTS MADE:
CPC has made three payments utilising CIL funds:
-£15,000, in May 2017, to Claygate Recreation Ground Trust (CRGT) to contribute to the rebuilding of the clubhouse.
-£ 8,000, in March 2018, to 1st Claygate Scouts to contribute to the proposed extension to the Scout Centre in Oaken Lane.
-£4,661.88 in March 2019, to Surrey County Council for safety improvements to the lighting at the pedestrian crossing on Hare Lane.

AWARDS APPROVED/EARMARKED
CPC has approved two projects utilising CIL monies - these have been earmarked in the accounts:
-£35,000 in March 2019, to Clayage Primary School (CPS), towards the planned imporvement to their outdoor swimming pool. This will only be paid over to CPS if and when planning permission is granted for this project. 

BALANCE UNALLOCATED CPC CIL FUNDS @ 31st May 2019 is £38,371.19